Infrastructure Engineer (AWS)
Starling, the leading digital bank, is on a mission to disrupt the banking industry. We’ve built an app with smart money management tools to help our customers live a healthier financial life. We also offer groundbreaking B2B banking and payments services.
Since our launch in 2014, we’ve opened more than 600,000 accounts, including over 45,000 SME accounts, and our customers trust us with over £400m of their money. We’ve won the Best British Bank award two years running, and now employ more than 500 people in our City of London office, with plans to create up to 150 new jobs at our Southampton site.
We are a fully licensed UK bank, and we have the culture and spirit of a fast-moving, disruptive technology company and are obsessed with providing our customers with the best banking app and money management experience around.
Everyone at Starling gets the chance to own interesting things from day one, and we’re told one of the best things about working here is the ability to achieve a lot in a short space of time.
We are very open about how we deliver software - have a look at our QCon presentations or engineering podcasts to see what our developers have been up to. You can also try coding against your own bank account with us using our open APIs (see the developer site)
Starling engineers love building things, creating new stuff, learning new technologies and working with others across all areas of the business to bring brilliant products and features to life. We’re open-minded when it comes to hiring and we care more about aptitude and attitude than specific experience or qualifications. If you care enough to find elegant solutions to difficult technical problems, we’d love to hear from you.
As an Infrastructure Engineer at Starling, you’ll be building infrastructure in AWS to support our internal operations and interfacing with our software engineering teams to deliver the infrastructure that drives our business.
We are looking for two Infrastructure Engineers, one focussed on AWS Infrastructure and one on Data Centres and Office Infrastructure. Both of these roles require the following:
- Thorough understanding of enterprise network technologies and how they fit into a financial company's technical infrastructure.
- Strong understanding of TCP/IP networking and experience with monitoring, network diagnostic and network analytics tools.
- Understanding of Enterprise Architecture, on-premises and cloud IT environments.
- Interest in automation and in providing reusable self-service infrastructure and network components to other teams.
For our Engineer focussed on AWS Infrastructure we are looking for:
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code and infrastructure provisioning tools (Cloudformation, Terraform).
- In-depth knowledge of AWS services such as VPC, EC2 and Direct Connect.
- 33 days holiday (including public hols). You’ll also get your birthday on us.
- 16 hours paid volunteering time a year
- Private Medical Insurance with VitalityHealth
- Contributory pension scheme
- Friday breakfast - bacon and egg rolls to vegan sausage butties.
- Our kitchens are stocked with fresh fruit and a range of hot and soft drinks.
- We host a company social once a month and have many varied social groups set up and run by our employees - ForTheWin (a gaming group), Starling FC, book club and many more!
- Discounts on cinema tickets, restaurants, shopping and train tickets via a Perkbox membership
- Access to ‘salary sacrifice’ benefits such as Cycle to Work scheme
- Gym membership options
Full details are available on our careers site
- Job originally posted: 18 January 2016 (continuous hiring).