Cyber Security Engineer
Starling, the leading digital bank, is on a mission to disrupt the banking industry. We’ve built an app with smart money management tools to help our customers live a healthier financial life. We also offer groundbreaking B2B banking and payments services.
Since our launch in 2014, we’ve opened more than 600,000 accounts, including over 45,000 SME accounts, and our customers trust us with over £400m of their money. We’ve won the Best British Bank award two years running, and now employ more than 500 people in our City of London office, with plans to create up to 150 new jobs at our Southampton site.
We are a fully licensed UK bank, and we have the culture and spirit of a fast-moving, disruptive technology company and are obsessed with providing our customers with the best banking app and money management experience around.
Everyone at Starling gets the chance to own interesting things from day one, and we’re told one of the best things about working here is the ability to achieve a lot in a short space of time.
We are very open about how we deliver software - have a look at our QCon presentations or engineering podcasts to see what our developers have been up to. You can also try coding against your own bank account with us using our open APIs (see the developer site).
The successful applicant will work within the Security Engineering team to engineer and support the technical mechanisms that ensure that the bank's systems and data remain secure at all times. Specific activities in which the sucessful applicant will be involved will include;
- Designing, building and maintaining internal security tools, controls and services;
- Automating security processes and procedures;
- Investigation, triage and management of security incidents as part of the Security Incident Response Team;
- Evaluation, selection and implementation of security products and services;
- Technical security review and analysis of proposed solutions to identify and define appropriate security controls and their configuration;
- Contribution to Starling Security Architecture Design Decision Documentation; and
- Identifying current and emerging technology issues including security trends, vulnerabilities and threats.
The ideal candidate will have some, if not most, of the following;
- An in-depth practical knowledge of public IaaS technologies, in particular AWS and GCP;
- A minimum of 2 years experience of working in a DevOps, SRE, Security Engineering and/or software development role;
- A Working knowledge of applied cryptographic techniques;
- Experience in programming in Python, Node.js and/or JAVA;
- Good networking and associated protocol knowledge;
- Experience of selecting, implementing, and maintaining security products and services;
- A practical understanding of logical and (linux) operating system security controls;
- A genuine enthusiasm for identifying security problems and building solutions to them.
- 33 days holiday (including public hols). You’ll also get your birthday on us.
- 16 hours paid volunteering time a year
- Private Medical Insurance with VitalityHealth
- Contributory pension scheme
- Friday breakfast - bacon and egg rolls to vegan sausage butties.
- Our kitchens are stocked with fresh fruit and a range of hot and soft drinks.
- We host a company social once a month and have many varied social groups set up and run by our employees - ForTheWin (a gaming group), Starling FC, book club and many more!
- Discounts on cinema tickets, restaurants, shopping and train tickets via a Perkbox membership
- Access to ‘salary sacrifice’ benefits such as Cycle to Work scheme
- Gym membership options
Full details are available on our careers site