Risk & Controls Manager - Technology
Starling is on a mission to build the best business bank in the world serving the needs of the small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) who are the lifeblood of the economy.
From small entrepreneurs with big ambitions to fanatical freelancers going it alone, SMEs just want one thing: to get on with the business of running their business. That’s why Starling built its SME bank accounts to be free, uncomplicated and quick to set up. We really understand the needs of SMEs - after all, it’s not that long since we started out to build our state-of-the art digital banking platform from scratch. Now, we are an established player, supporting more than 600,000 customers, including more than 45,000 SME accounts.
We’ve recently been awarded £100m from a fund created to boost competition and innovation in SME banking. We’d like to invite you to join our fast-growing, highly-skilled, caring and passionate team as we embark on the next stage of our incredible journey to drive even more long-term and meaningful change in banking
We have the culture and spirit of a fast-moving, disruptive technology company and are focused on providing our customers with the best banking app and money management experience around. Everyone at Starling gets the chance to own interesting things from day one, and we’re told one of the best things about working here is the ability to achieve a lot in a short space of time.
In this role you will be responsible for Risk Management and Internal Control processes that support the activities of our CIO.
Working with respective ExCo members, senior leadership and other control function teams you will be central in building and operating appropriate risk and control frameworks for your area of the business, specifically:
- Lead, coordinate and support effective risk management
- Ensure compliance with established policies, procedures
- Develop strategies to manage risk, working in collaboration with the risk team to identify any risks and manage issues in line with agreed business policies
- Assist the business in understanding and conducting evaluations
- Identify and implement new or amended controls for the mitigation of risk
- Track status of risk management and control actions and report the key risk and control information periodically
- Escalate high priority risks to the Chief Risk Officer
- Act as a key advisor and consult on the risk implications of key business projects
- Relevant experience in a risk, audit or compliance function or related activities in a tech or FS company
- Proven track record in the design and implementation of risk and control frameworks
- Knowledge of FCA/PRA regulation
- Highly organised, able to deliver reliably to deadlines and manage conflicting priorities
- Calm and resilient under pressure with ability to deal with a fast pace of change
- Pragmatic and good at working collaboratively with others
- Adaptable and flexible
- Excellent influencing, interpersonal and communication skills
- Positive style and attitude. Able to work autonomously with enthusiasm and energy
- 33 days holiday (including public hols). You’ll also get your birthday on us.
- 16 hours paid volunteering time a year
- Private Medical Insurance with VitalityHealth
- Contributory pension scheme
- Friday breakfast - bacon and egg rolls to vegan sausage butties.
- Our kitchens are stocked with fresh fruit and a range of hot and soft drinks.
- We host a company social once a month and have many varied social groups set up and run by our employees - ForTheWin (a gaming group), Starling FC, book club and many more!
- Discounts on cinema tickets, restaurants, shopping and train tickets via a Perkbox membership
- Access to ‘salary sacrifice’ benefits such as Cycle to Work scheme
- Gym membership options
Full details are available on our careers site