Risk & Controls Manager - Technology (London)
Starling, the leading digital bank, is on a mission to disrupt the banking industry. We’ve built an app with smart money management tools to help our customers live a healthier financial life. We also offer groundbreaking B2B banking and payments services.
Since our launch in 2014, we’ve opened more than 675,000 accounts, including over 54,000 SME accounts, and our customers trust us with over £500m of their money. We’ve won the Best British Bank award two years running, and now employ more than 500 people in our City of London office. We’re creating up to 150 new jobs at our new Southampton site.
We’re a fully licensed UK bank, and we have the culture and spirit of a fast-moving, disruptive technology company and are obsessed with providing our customers with the best banking app and money management experience around.
Everyone at Starling gets the chance to own interesting things from day one, and we’re told one of the best things about working here is the ability to achieve a lot in a short space of time.
In this role you will be responsible for Risk Management and Internal Control processes that support the activities of our CIO.
Working with respective ExCo members, senior leadership and other control function teams you will be central in building and operating appropriate risk and control frameworks for your area of the business, specifically:
- Lead, coordinate and support effective risk management
- Ensure compliance with established policies, procedures
- Develop strategies to manage risk, working in collaboration with the risk team to identify any risks and manage issues in line with agreed business policies
- Assist the business in understanding and conducting evaluations
- Identify and implement new or amended controls for the mitigation of risk
- Track status of risk management and control actions and report the key risk and control information periodically
- Escalate high priority risks to the Chief Risk Officer
- Act as a key advisor and consult on the risk implications of key business projects
- Relevant experience in a risk, audit or compliance function or related activities in a tech or FS company
- Proven track record in the design and implementation of risk and control frameworks
- Knowledge of FCA/PRA regulation
- Highly organised, able to deliver reliably to deadlines and manage conflicting priorities
- Calm and resilient under pressure with ability to deal with a fast pace of change
- Pragmatic and good at working collaboratively with others
- Adaptable and flexible
- Excellent influencing, interpersonal and communication skills
- Positive style and attitude. Able to work autonomously with enthusiasm and energy
- 33 days holiday (including public hols). You’ll also get your birthday on us.
- 16 hours paid volunteering time a year
- Private Medical Insurance with VitalityHealth
- Contributory pension scheme
- Friday breakfast - bacon and egg rolls to vegan sausage butties.
- Our kitchens are stocked with fresh fruit and a range of hot and soft drinks.
- We host a company social once a month and have many varied social groups set up and run by our employees - ForTheWin (a gaming group), Starling FC, book club and many more!
- Discounts on cinema tickets, restaurants, shopping and train tickets via a Perkbox membership
- Access to ‘salary sacrifice’ benefits such as Cycle to Work scheme
- Gym membership options
Full details are available on our careers site