Head of Retail Banking (London)
Starling, the leading digital bank, is on a mission to disrupt the banking industry. We’ve built an app with smart money management tools to help our customers live a healthier financial life. We also offer groundbreaking B2B banking and payments services.
Since our launch in 2014, we’ve surpassed 775,000 accounts in total: 695,000 retail current accounts, 59,000 business accounts for small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) and a further 22,000 retail euro accounts. We’re on track to hit one million accounts before the end of 2019. Our total deposits, meanwhile, have surpassed £600 million and are expected to top £1 billion over the same period.
We’re a fully licensed UK bank, and we have the culture and spirit of a fast-moving, disruptive technology company.We’ve won the Best British Bank award two years running, and now employ more than 600 people in our City of London office. We’re also creating up to 150 new jobs at our new Southampton site. We have secured a £100m award from the Capability and Innovation fund to transform SME Banking. Within the banking team we are leading and shaping the delivery of this award to help deliver the transformation in UK Banking that is Starling’s ambition.
Everyone at Starling gets the chance to own interesting things from day one, and we’re told one of the best things about working here is the ability to achieve a lot in a short space of time.
As our Head of Retail Banking, you will own, and drive the development of our banking proposition for our retail customers. Working across all areas of the bank, you’ll be someone who brings a wealth of experience in the retail banking space.
- Develop, execute and manage our retail banking strategy and tactical business plan, taking into account the market opportunity/growth potential, competitor activity, existing capabilities and risk appetite;
- Work closely with the Head of SME Banking to consider the transformative changes being delivered for SME customers and how these can be best utilised to transform our Retail Banking proposition
- Agree target market selection and customer propositions within the strategy;
- Define measurable business growth objectives, management processes and measures;
- Lead, motivate and grow your retail banking team;
- Define the proposition roadmap and work with the Head of Retail Growth to deliver the propositions to market and ensure the achievement of the commercial objectives;
- Ensure that the Retail Bank is compliant with all directives set by the bank policy, regulators, external auditors and/or the Board of Directors.
- Prior experience in a leadership role in a Retail Banking environment
- Exposure in high-growth, disruptive businesses is advantageous
- Prior experience of developing and managing retail banking propositions
- A genuine desire to improve the customer experience associated with retail banking propositions
- You will have built, and led, high performing teams and have a strong ability to work collaboratively with your colleagues, influencing stakeholders where necessary
- The ability to build and maintain strong working relationships with key Business Partners, Vendors, Suppliers, Operations and Technology
- You will have a commercial understanding of the P&L drivers of a retail bank
- 33 days holiday (including public hols). You’ll also get your birthday on us.
- 16 hours paid volunteering time a year.
- Private Medical Insurance with VitalityHealth.
- Contributory pension scheme.
- Friday breakfast - bacon and egg rolls to vegan sausage butties.
- Our kitchens are stocked with fresh fruit and a range of hot and soft drinks.
- We have many varied social groups set up and run by our employees - ForTheWin (a gaming group), Starling FC, book club and many more!
- Discounts on cinema tickets, restaurants, shopping and train tickets via a Perkbox membership.
- Access to ‘salary sacrifice’ benefits such as Cycle to Work scheme.
- Gym membership options. Full details are available on our careers site.