Compliance Officer - SME (1st Line)
Starling is on a mission to build the best business bank in the world serving the needs of the small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) who are the lifeblood of the economy.
From small entrepreneurs with big ambitions to fanatical freelancers going it alone, SMEs just want one thing: to get on with the business of running their business. That’s why Starling built its SME bank accounts to be free, uncomplicated and quick to set up. We really understand the needs of SMEs - after all, it’s not that long since we started out to build our state-of-the art digital banking platform from scratch. Now, we are an established player, supporting more than 600,000 customers, including more than 45,000 SME accounts.
We’ve recently been awarded £100m from a fund created to boost competition and innovation in SME banking. We’d like to invite you to join our fast-growing, highly-skilled, caring and passionate team as we embark on the next stage of our incredible journey to drive even more long-term and meaningful change in banking.
We have the culture and spirit of a fast-moving, disruptive technology company and are focused on providing our customers with the best banking app and money management experience around. Everyone at Starling gets the chance to own interesting things from day one, and we’re told one of the best things about working here is the ability to achieve a lot in a short space of time.
To support our ongoing growth we’re looking to recruit a Compliance Officer. You will report directly into the SME function but will work closely with 2nd Line Risk and Compliance. You will also have significant exposure across the bank and with board level committees.
- Leading the first line of defence compliance and regulatory function for the SME business bank.
- Ensuring compliance with the Bank’s regulatory policies.
- Developing appropriate execution of risk oversight and management within the 1st line of defence.
- Coordinating the delivery of identified risk management committees, including the production of papers and recording notes / actions as required.
- Supporting the Head of SME to complete Risk and Control Self Assessments.
- Responsible for oversight of Operational Risk and Incidents within SME Banking, and ensuring escalation of risks.
- Preparing reports and recommendations on actions into the business to ensure compliance with the regulatory framework. Delivery of change to meet regulatory requirements.
- Liaison with regulators and other industry bodies as required.
- Providing updates and insight to the SME team where required to ensure they comply with regulatory requirements in the execution of their roles.
- Working with Line 2 compliance to ensure Line 1 responds to any necessary actions and / or executes in line with 2nd line policies.
The successful candidate will have some or all of the following:
- Broad range of UK prudential, conduct and SME Banking experience ideally within another UK Financial Institution.
- Thorough understanding of financial crime SME Banking legislation, rules, regulations and codes (UK, EU).
- Confident communicator at all levels.
- Personable, approachable with strong management skills.
- Experience of liaising with Regulators.
- Excellent interpersonal skills particularly handling difficult situations.
- The ability to challenge often, in a positive manner.
- Extensive experience and therefore understanding of regulations with the ability to interpret in a commercial context.
- First class decision making, planning and prioritising skills.
- A proven problem solver who is committed to continuous improvement.
Fluency to speak and write in English are a prerequisite for the role, and we are looking for someone who has experience of providing SME Compliance support.
- 33 days holiday (including public hols). You’ll also get your birthday on us.
- 16 hours paid volunteering time a year
- Private Medical Insurance with VitalityHealth
- Contributory pension scheme
- Friday breakfast - bacon and egg rolls to vegan sausage butties.
- Our kitchens are stocked with fresh fruit and a range of hot and soft drinks.
- We host a company social once a month and have many varied social groups set up and run by our employees - ForTheWin (a gaming group), Starling FC, book club and many more!
- Discounts on cinema tickets, restaurants, shopping and train tickets via a Perkbox membership
- Access to ‘salary sacrifice’ benefits such as Cycle to Work scheme
- Gym membership options
Full details are available on our careers site