Engineering Lead (London or Southampton)
Starling, the leading digital bank, is on a mission to disrupt the banking industry. We’ve built an app with smart money management tools to help our customers live a healthier financial life. We also offer groundbreaking B2B banking and payments services.
Since our launch in 2014, we’ve opened more than 675,000 accounts, including over 54,000 SME accounts, and our customers trust us with over £500m of their money. We’ve won the Best British Bank award two years running, and now employ more than 500 people in our City of London office. We’re creating up to 150 new jobs at our new Southampton site.
We’re a fully licensed UK bank, and we have the culture and spirit of a fast-moving, disruptive technology company and are obsessed with providing our customers with the best banking app and money management experience around.
Everyone at Starling gets the chance to own interesting things from day one, and we’re told one of the best things about working here is the ability to achieve a lot in a short space of time.
We are very open about how we deliver software - have a look at our QCon presentations or engineering podcasts to see what our developers have been up to. You can also try coding against your own bank account with us using our open APIs (see the developer site)
Starling engineers love building things, creating new stuff, learning new technologies and working with others across all areas of the business to bring brilliant products and features to life. We’re open-minded when it comes to hiring and we care more about aptitude and attitude than specific experience or qualifications. If you care enough to find elegant solutions to difficult technical problems, we’d love to hear from you.
We need people to provide technical leadership to an engineering team. For us technical leads are people who:
- Love coding and love putting things live, typically in more than one platform;
- Can turn an idea into a live product;
- Believe in clean coding, simple solutions, automated testing and continuous deployment;
- Have experience from a range of roles and understand what works and doesn’t;
- Can create an environment of engineering brilliance within their team. They are good at identifying and removing obstacles from their team, allowing the engineers in it to perform.
- Want to actively keep up with changes in engineering best practice both within and without Starling and help their team adopt those.
- 33 days holiday (including public hols). You’ll also get your birthday on us.
- 16 hours paid volunteering time a year
- Private Medical Insurance with VitalityHealth
- Contributory pension scheme
- Friday breakfast - bacon and egg rolls to vegan sausage butties.
- Our kitchens are stocked with fresh fruit and a range of hot and soft drinks.
- We host a company social once a month and have many varied social groups set up and run by our employees - ForTheWin (a gaming group), Starling FC, book club and many more!
- Discounts on cinema tickets, restaurants, shopping and train tickets via a Perkbox membership
- Access to ‘salary sacrifice’ benefits such as Cycle to Work scheme
- Gym membership options
Full details are available on our careers site
- Job originally posted: 18 January 2016 (continuous hiring).