Retail Dispute Specialist (London)
Starling, the leading digital bank, is on a mission to disrupt the banking industry. We’ve built an app with smart money management tools to help our customers live a healthier financial life. We also offer groundbreaking B2B banking and payments services.
Since our launch in 2014, we’ve surpassed 775,000 accounts in total: 695,000 retail current accounts, 59,000 business accounts for small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) and a further 22,000 retail euro accounts. We’re on track to hit one million accounts before the end of 2019. Our total deposits, meanwhile, have surpassed £600 million and are expected to top £1 billion over the same period.
We’re a fully licensed UK bank, and we have the culture and spirit of a fast-moving, disruptive technology company. We’ve won the Best British Bank award two years running, and now employ more than 600 people in our City of London office. We’re also creating up to 150 new jobs at our new Southampton site. We have secured a £100m award from the Capability and Innovation fund to transform SME Banking. Within the banking team we are leading and shaping the delivery of this award to help deliver the transformation in UK Banking that is Starling’s ambition.
Everyone at Starling gets the chance to own interesting things from day one, and we’re told one of the best things about working here is the ability to achieve a lot in a short space of time.
As a Retail Dispute Specialist you will handle all card retail chargeback disputes from start to finish, this will involve contact with various stakeholders – in and outside of the business. You will help contribute to and improve our authorisation chargeback processes that help provide the back office support needed for our Lending team. This role will involve a deep knowledge of how retail disputes work and understand the full non-fraud chargeback lifecycle.
- To assess and make appropriate decisions on whether a customer’s case is applicable for a MasterCard chargeback.
- Liaise with cardholders and retailers through in-app messages, incoming/outgoing calls and emails.
- Create authorisation chargebacks on customers’ accounts where merchants have breached authorisation related rules.
- Creating and maintaining chargeback disputes through MasterCard Connect in line with timeframes, regulations and requirements.
- Acknowledging process flaws and recommend changes to increase and improve productivity.
- Helping the Lending team to investigate customer queries as required.
- Proven experience working in a chargebacks role either within financial services or for a merchant.
- Strong knowledge of the MasterCard chargeback cycle, with a good understanding of the individual reason codes that are available to us.
- Strong understanding and working knowledge of the MasterCard authorisation chargeback policies.
- Ability to manage relationships between multiple stakeholders, both internal and external.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment within a growing bank.
- Results oriented, completing tasks in a timely manner and to a high standard.
- 33 days holiday (including public hols). You’ll also get your birthday on us.
- 16 hours paid volunteering time a year.
- Private Medical Insurance with VitalityHealth.
- Contributory pension scheme.
- Friday breakfast - bacon and egg rolls to vegan sausage butties.
- Our kitchens are stocked with fresh fruit and a range of hot and soft drinks.
- We have many varied social groups set up and run by our employees - ForTheWin (a gaming group), Starling FC, book club and many more!
- Discounts on cinema tickets, restaurants, shopping and train tickets via a Perkbox membership.
- Access to ‘salary sacrifice’ benefits such as Cycle to Work scheme.
- Gym membership options. Full details are available on our careers site.