Head of Product Design (Cardiff)
We are a leading digital bank on a mission to disrupt the banking industry. We've built an app with smart money management tools to help our customers live a healthier financial life. We also offer groundbreaking B2B banking and payments services.
Since our launch in 2014, we've surpassed 825,000 accounts in total: 760,000 retail current accounts and 66,000 business accounts for small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs). We're on track to hit one million accounts before the end of 2019. Our total deposits, meanwhile, have surpassed £600 million and are expected to top £1 billion over the same period.
We're a fully licensed UK bank, and we have the culture and spirit of a fast-moving, disruptive technology company. We've won the Best British Bank award two years running, and now employ more than 780 people across our London & Southampton offices, with more to come from Cardiff.
Everyone at Starling gets the chance to own interesting things from day one, and we’re told one of the best things about working here is the ability to achieve a lot in a short space of time.
We are looking for an exceptional product design lead to join us as Head of Product Design dedicated to creating a bar-raising user experience across Starling’s mobile and web apps. In particular you will lead a team of designers working across our iOS, Android and web platforms. You will develop and constantly improve our design processes, setting goals for our designer learning and development, with the ultimate aim of elevating the quality and consistency of our customer experience.
- Actively hire top talent, scale and structure the team.
- Own the Design system and make sure that user experience is consistent across products and features on all platforms.
- Raise the bar of UX and Design through the rest of the team, you’ll bring new processes and techniques to the team too.
- Mentoring some of our talented Product Designers, rolling your sleeves up and guiding the team by example.
We have a culture that is focused on making things for our customers at high speed, and so you should have the following:
- Experienced in leading, managing and scaling a product design team.
- Examples of designing great experiences for customers on iOS and Android, and resolving all of the difficult design questions that came up. We’d love to see the examples from your portfolio that you’re most proud of.
- Experience developing complex design systems for digital products (mobile and web) and examples of how teams have maintained and worked to these in practice.
- You’ve worked in a high-growth start up before, where decisions are driven by data and customer insights. You’ll identify opportunities to improve the experience through customer research, work with Product to prioritise, design the solution, and own the quality of the delivery alongside engineering.
- 33 days holiday (including public hols). You’ll also get your birthday on us.
- 16 hours paid volunteering time a year
- Private Medical Insurance with VitalityHealth
- Contributory pension scheme
- Friday breakfast - bacon and egg rolls to vegan sausage butties.
- Our kitchens are stocked with fresh fruit and a range of hot and soft drinks.
- We host a company social once a month and have many varied social groups set up and run by our employees - ForTheWin (a gaming group), Starling FC, book club and many more!
- Discounts on cinema tickets, restaurants, shopping and train tickets via a Perkbox membership
- Access to ‘salary sacrifice’ benefits such as Cycle to Work scheme
- Gym membership options
Full details are available on our careers site