People Advisor, Operations (Southampton)
Starling, the leading digital bank, is on a mission to disrupt the banking industry. We’ve built an app with smart money management tools to help our customers live a healthier financial life. We also offer groundbreaking B2B banking and payments services.
Since our launch in 2014, we’ve surpassed 775,000 accounts in total: 695,000 retail current accounts, 59,000 business accounts for small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) and a further 22,000 retail euro accounts. We’re on track to hit one million accounts before the end of 2019. Our total deposits, meanwhile, have surpassed £600 million and are expected to top £1 billion over the same period.
We’re a fully licensed UK bank, and we have the culture and spirit of a fast-moving, disruptive technology company. We’ve won the Best British Bank award two years running, and now employ more than 600 people in our City of London office. We’re also creating up to 150 new jobs at our new Southampton site. We have secured a £100m award from the Capability and Innovation fund to transform SME Banking. Within the banking team we are leading and shaping the delivery of this award to help deliver the transformation in UK Banking that is Starling’s ambition.
Everyone at Starling gets the chance to own interesting things from day one, and we’re told one of the best things about working here is the ability to achieve a lot in a short space of time.
As a our People Advisor for Southampton you will report to the People Business Partner for Operations. This role will be supporting the growth of our Operations and Contact Centre teams in our new Southampton office, located in Ocean Village. In this role, you will be:
- Acting as an initial reference point for people related matters and queries, and escalating to the People Business Partner for Operations as necessary. This will include having a working knowledge of our policies and procedures and making sure all elements are being applied in Operations, providing support to managers where needed.
- Partnering with our Operations Recruitment Team to:
- Help attract new candidates.
- Interview candidates in Southampton for applicable roles and coordinate with business stakeholders to collect candidate feedback.
- Onboard new employees by getting them set up with necessary kit and liaise with managers on initial employee needs.
- Supporting managers with areas like absence management, performance management, management of shift patterns, holiday planning and similar topics.
- Supporting the People Business Partner for Operations with people related initiatives as needed (e.g. engagement, progression, etc…).
- Creating a positive working environment in which our people flourish, feel engaged and motivated and supporting our staff’s growth and development.
- Operational HR / People Operations or relevant people management experience in a medium to large scale 24/7 Customer Service / Contact Centre / Operations environment (ideal if that experience is in a business scaling at pace).
- Hands-on approach; someone who is happy to roll their sleeves up and get ‘stuck in’.
- Experience in managing employee relations, and supporting/advising and tackling difficult conversations yourself as required.
- Strong execution skills, keen attention to detail, high level of discretion.
- Ability to communicate and collaborate with teams across the business at all levels.
- Ability to deliver effective results and meet deadlines in a flexible, organic, fast-paced environment.
- CIPD qualified or part-qualified.
- 33 days holiday (including public hols). You’ll also get your birthday on us.
- 16 hours paid volunteering time a year.
- Private Medical Insurance with VitalityHealth.
- Contributory pension scheme.
- Friday breakfast - bacon and egg rolls to vegan sausage butties.
- Our kitchens are stocked with fresh fruit and a range of hot and soft drinks.
- We host a company social once a month and have many varied social groups set up and run by our employees - ForTheWin (a gaming group), Starling FC, book club and many more!
- Discounts on cinema tickets, restaurants, shopping and train tickets via a Perkbox membership.
- Access to ‘salary sacrifice’ benefits such as Cycle to Work scheme.
- Gym membership options.
Full details are available on our careers site.