Lead Product Designer
Starling, the leading digital bank, is on a mission to disrupt the banking industry. We’ve built an app with smart money management tools to help our customers live a healthier financial life. We also offer groundbreaking B2B banking and payments services.
Since our launch in 2014, we’ve opened more than 600,000 accounts, including over 45,000 SME accounts, and our customers trust us with over £400m of their money. We’ve won the Best British Bank award two years running, and now employ more than 500 people in our City of London office, with plans to create up to 150 new jobs at our Southampton site.
We are a fully licensed UK bank, and we have the culture and spirit of a fast-moving, disruptive technology company and are obsessed with providing our customers with the best banking app and money management experience around.
Everyone at Starling gets the chance to own interesting things from day one, and we’re told one of the best things about working here is the ability to achieve a lot in a short space of time.
Lead Product Designers at Starling are responsible for:
- Optimising the performance of our product against our key customer and business metrics. You’ll identify opportunities to improve the experience through customer research, work with Product to prioritise, design the solution, and own the quality of the delivery with engineering.
- Delighting our customers with new, unique features that help them make the most out of their money. You’ll create concepts and prototypes, test them rapidly with a variety of methods, and provide a final recommendation for debate with the Product and Leadership teams.
- Owning the design of all features related to key company strategic initiatives. You’ll need to define an experience which is intuitive and modern, yet has fairness and clarity at its core.
- Raising the bar of UX and Design through the rest of the team, and mentoring some of our talented Product Designers. You’ll bring new processes and techniques to the team too.
- Working with the rest of Starling to ensure there is coherence across the entire Starling experience, not just within the app.
We also have a culture that is focused on making things for our customers at high speed, and so we are looking any potential Product Designers to have the following:
- Lots of examples of designing great experiences for customers on iOS and Android, and resolving all of the difficult design questions that came up. We’d love to see the examples from your portfolio that you’re most proud of.
- Great attention to detail across everything that you do.
- Being good at balancing solving complex problems with fast tactical changes. You will need to be good at knowing where our time can be spent most effectively, and making high quality decisions quickly, with data where appropriate.
- Being comfortable operating outside of your comfort zone and dealing with ambiguity.
- An inclination to seek feedback and over communicate.
Fluency to speak and write in English are a prerequisite for the role, and we are looking for someone with at least 5 years of native mobile design experience in iOS and Android, including process flow development, journey mapping, system architecture auditing and design (we primarily use Sketch, Zeplin and ProtoPie at Starling).
- 33 days holiday (including public hols). You’ll also get your birthday on us.
- 16 hours paid volunteering time a year
- Private Medical Insurance with VitalityHealth
- Contributory pension scheme
- Friday breakfast - bacon and egg rolls to vegan sausage butties.
- Our kitchens are stocked with fresh fruit and a range of hot and soft drinks.
- We host a company social once a month and have many varied social groups set up and run by our employees - ForTheWin (a gaming group), Starling FC, book club and many more!
- Discounts on cinema tickets, restaurants, shopping and train tickets via a Perkbox membership
- Access to ‘salary sacrifice’ benefits such as Cycle to Work scheme
- Gym membership options