PostgreSQL DBA (London or Southampton)
We are a leading digital bank on a mission to disrupt the banking industry. We've built an app with smart money management tools to help our customers live a healthier financial life. We also offer groundbreaking B2B banking and payments services.
Since our launch in 2014, we've surpassed 825,000 accounts in total: 760,000 retail current accounts and 66,000 business accounts for small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs). We're on track to hit one million accounts before the end of 2019. Our total deposits, meanwhile, have surpassed £600 million and are expected to top £1 billion over the same period.
We're a fully licensed UK bank, and we have the culture and spirit of a fast-moving, disruptive technology company. We've won the Best British Bank award two years running, and now employ more than 780 people across our London & Southampton offices, with more to come from Cardiff.
Everyone at Starling gets the chance to own interesting things from day one, and we’re told one of the best things about working here is the ability to achieve a lot in a short space of time.
We are very open about how we deliver software - have a look at our QCon presentations or engineering podcaststo see what our developers have been up to. You can also try coding against your own bank account with us using our open APIs (see the developer site)
Starling engineers love building things, creating new stuff, learning new technologies and working with others across all areas of the business to bring brilliant products and features to life. We’re open-minded when it comes to hiring and we care more about aptitude and attitude than specific experience or qualifications. If you care enough to find elegant solutions to difficult technical problems, we’d love to hear from you.
Working within our growing engineering team, you’ll be responsible for configuring, monitoring and improving our PostgreSQL databases. Responsibilities will include:
- Working with teams within Starling Bank to understand their needs and make appropriate adjustments
- Monitoring and optimising the performance of the database
- Query analysis to understand how the database is being used by teams
- Allocating system storage and planning storage needs
- Planning for backup and recovery of database information
- Managing and monitoring data replication
The ideal candidate will have experience in most (if not all) of the following:
- Proven experience working as a DBA from a performance tuning and optimisation perspective
- Built and deployed PostgreSQL clusters into production (would consider Oracle/MySQL and similar technologies)
- Worked within high availability, scalable environments
- Ability to engage with all levels of the business to understand user needs
- Strong ability to solve complex technical issues
- 33 days holiday (including public hols). You’ll also get your birthday on us.
- 16 hours paid volunteering time a year.
- Private Medical Insurance with VitalityHealth.
- Contributory pension scheme.
- Friday breakfast - bacon and egg rolls to vegan sausage butties.
- Our kitchens are stocked with fresh fruit and a range of hot and soft drinks.
- We have many varied social groups set up and run by our employees - ForTheWin (a gaming group), Starling FC, book club and many more!
- Discounts on cinema tickets, restaurants, shopping and train tickets via a Perkbox membership.
- Access to ‘salary sacrifice’ benefits such as Cycle to Work scheme.
- Gym membership options.
Full details are available on our careers site.