Technical Writer (Southampton)
We are a leading digital bank on a mission to disrupt the banking industry. We've built an app with smart money management tools to help our customers live a healthier financial life. We also offer groundbreaking B2B banking and payments services.
Since our launch in 2014, we've surpassed 825,000 accounts in total: 760,000 retail current accounts and 66,000 business accounts for small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs). We're on track to hit one million accounts before the end of 2019. Our total deposits, meanwhile, have surpassed £600 million and are expected to top £1 billion over the same period.
We're a fully licensed UK bank, and we have the culture and spirit of a fast-moving, disruptive technology company. We've won the Best British Bank award two years running, and now employ more than 780 people across our London & Southampton offices, with more to come from Cardiff.
Everyone at Starling gets the chance to own interesting things from day one, and we’re told one of the best things about working here is the ability to achieve a lot in a short space of time.
We are very open about how we deliver software - have a look at our QCon presentations or engineering podcasts to see what our developers have been up to. You can also try coding against your own bank account with us using our open APIs (see the developer site)
We are seeking a technical writer to capture, organise, and maintain knowledge about our rapidly changing software systems. You will be writing for and communicating with both Starling engineers and external developers.
In this role you will:
- Talk to engineers and business SMEs to learn about our software systems: what they do, how they are used, and how they work.
- Create documentation for those systems which can be read by engineers, and help disseminate it.
- Create documentation designed for a variety of scenarios:
- High level overviews of individual systems to help engineers get up to speed.
- Quick reads designed to help engineers assess emergency situations.
- Model definitions and recipes designed to help external engineers work with our public APIs.
- Ability to gather information from software developers and business SMEs.
- Ability to write clear and concise documentation for software products for a technical audience.
- Ability to grasp technical concepts and talk confidently with engineers.
- Ability to communicate a big picture view of a complex software landscape.
- 33 days holiday (including public hols). You’ll also get your birthday on us.
- 16 hours paid volunteering time a year.
- Private Medical Insurance with VitalityHealth.
- Contributory pension scheme.
- Friday breakfast - bacon and egg rolls to vegan sausage butties.
- Our kitchens are stocked with fresh fruit and a range of hot and soft drinks.
- We have many varied social groups set up and run by our employees - ForTheWin (a gaming group), Starling FC, book club and many more!
- Discounts on cinema tickets, restaurants, shopping and train tickets via a Perkbox membership.
- Access to ‘salary sacrifice’ benefits such as Cycle to Work scheme.
- Gym membership options.
Full details are available on our careers site.