Tax Manager (Southampton)
Starling, the leading digital bank, is on a mission to disrupt the banking industry. We’ve built an app with smart money management tools to help our customers live a healthier financial life. We also offer groundbreaking B2B banking and payments services.
Since our launch in 2014, we’ve opened more than 675,000 accounts, including over 54,000 SME accounts, and our customers trust us with over £500m of their money. We’ve won the Best British Bank award two years running, and now employ more than 500 people in our City of London office. We’re creating up to 150 new jobs at our new Southampton site.
We’re a fully licensed UK bank, and we have the culture and spirit of a fast-moving, disruptive technology company and are obsessed with providing our customers with the best banking app and money management experience around.
Everyone at Starling gets the chance to own interesting things from day one, and we’re told one of the best things about working here is the ability to achieve a lot in a short space of time.
We are looking for an experienced Tax Manager to lead and manage the company's tax affairs.
- Management of VAT compliance in multiple jurisdictions, including filing of returns, advising on structure, and VAT tax planning.
- Assist with the global tax reporting, including transfer pricing, as well as BBSI,CDOTS,FATCA,PSA and P11D
- Project manage tax work outsourced to external advisors including ensuring appropriate advice is obtained efficiently
- UK corporation tax compliance
- Involvement with R&D claims
- Supporting tax communications with HMRC, including preparation of correspondence to resolve queries, and active participation in meetings
- Provision of ad hoc corporation tax advice to the business and to external advisors (e.g. lawyers) and ensuring that regular productive contact is maintained
- Involvement with strategic tax planning, transfer pricing policies, employment tax issues and VAT
- Preparation and presentation of memos / training materials on an ad hoc basis
- A solid indirect tax background, gained in practice and / or industry
- ACA, ACCA or CTA qualified
- Strong accounting knowledge
- Experience of corporation tax, transfer pricing, treasury, employment taxes an advantage
- Robust, enthusiastic, self-starter, as this is a newly created role
- Ethical team player with good influencing skills and the ability to communicate complex tax matters to a non-tax audience
- Strong people skills, with an ability to influence and manage people
- Highly analytical with strong organisational capability
- A practical and commercial approach to problem solving
- Confident with offering constructive challenge to colleagues concerning tax risk and compliance
- 33 days holiday (including public hols). You’ll also get your birthday on us.
- 16 hours paid volunteering time a year.
- Private Medical Insurance with VitalityHealth.
- Contributory pension scheme.
- Friday breakfast - bacon and egg rolls to vegan sausage butties.
- Our kitchens are stocked with fresh fruit and a range of hot and soft drinks.
- We host a company social once a month and have many varied social groups set up and run by our employees - ForTheWin (a gaming group), Starling FC, book club and many more!
- Discounts on cinema tickets, restaurants, shopping and train tickets via a Perkbox membership.
- Access to ‘salary sacrifice’ benefits such as Cycle to Work scheme.
- Gym membership options.
Full details are available on our careers site