Lead Data Engineer
Starling, the leading digital bank, is on a mission to disrupt the banking industry. We’ve built an app with smart money management tools to help our customers live a healthier financial life. We also offer groundbreaking B2B banking and payments services.
Since our launch in 2014, we’ve surpassed 775,000 accounts in total: 695,000 retail current accounts, 59,000 business accounts for small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) and a further 22,000 retail euro accounts. We’re on track to hit one million accounts before the end of 2019. Our total deposits, meanwhile, have surpassed £600 million and are expected to top £1 billion over the same period.
As our Lead Data Engineer, we would like you to own and deliver the following:
- Implementation of database monitoring tools and diagnostics and proactive monitoring and management.
- Improving the build-time and deployment-time mechanisms used for database changes.
- Optimisation of database queries and general usage, for the purposes of both acceptable performance and of correctness.
You will also be responsible for:
- Developing the data platform in the bank which covers online relational databases, application logic, data pipelines and big data analytics tools.
- Optimising the performance of, and contributing to, data processing elements of the banking platform.
- Contributing to the development of analytics capabilities across the various services within Starling Bank.
This role sits within our Data Team, but you will be working heavily with the wider Engineering Team. This role really starts at platform level, so being proficient in Java will be important!
Perhaps you've been a Java Engineer for many years, but worked very closely with data? Or maybe you were formally a Java Engineer but moved to being a Data Engineer? Either would be great, and we'd love to hear from you!
- Software development skills with Java.
- Experience building ETL pipelines.
- Data Warehousing skills.
- Comfortable writing complex queries against large relational databases.
- Happy to work on PostgreSQL databases.
- We recruit engineers at all experience levels and our salaries reflect this. We range from £40,000 to £120,000 dependant on experience.
- 33 days holiday (including public hols). You’ll also get your birthday on us.
- 16 hours paid volunteering time a year.
- Private Medical Insurance with VitalityHealth.
- Contributory pension scheme.
- Friday breakfast - bacon and egg rolls to vegan sausage butties.
- Our kitchens are stocked with fresh fruit and a range of hot and soft drinks.
- We have many varied social groups set up and run by our employees - ForTheWin (a gaming group), Starling FC, book club and many more!
- Discounts on cinema tickets, restaurants, shopping and train tickets via a Perkbox membership.
- Access to ‘salary sacrifice’ benefits such as Cycle to Work scheme.
- Gym membership options.
Full details are available on our careers site