Public Relations (PR) Manager (London)
Starling, the leading digital bank, is on a mission to disrupt the banking industry. We’ve built an app with smart money management tools to help our customers live a healthier financial life. We also offer groundbreaking B2B banking and payments services.
Since our launch in 2014, we’ve surpassed 775,000 accounts in total: 695,000 retail current accounts, 59,000 business accounts for small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) and a further 22,000 retail euro accounts. We’re on track to hit one million accounts before the end of 2019. Our total deposits, meanwhile, have surpassed £600 million and are expected to top £1 billion over the same period.
We’re a fully licensed UK bank, and we have the culture and spirit of a fast-moving, disruptive technology company. We’ve won the Best British Bank award two years running, and now employ more than 600 people in our City of London office. We’re also creating up to 150 new jobs at our new Southampton site.
Everyone at Starling gets the chance to own interesting things from day one, and we’re told one of the best things about working here is the ability to achieve a lot in a short space of time.
We are looking for a Public Relations (PR) Manger to join us. Working alongside our Head of Corporate Affairs and Communications, who reports directly to the CEO, the ideal candidate will be an experienced professional wanting to work with a disruptive brand.
- Help develop and put in place communication campaigns and strategies for the bank
- Develop industry, sector and product-focused PR campaigns
- Spearhead both traditional PR and social media projects
- Pitch stories to journalists, bloggers and influencers and respond to media enquiries
- Draft a wide range of written materials – press releases, photo-call notices, media briefings, background documents, Q&A’s, case studies etc
- Support head of communications in relation to fast-moving news stories
- Monitor key stakeholder opinions on topical issues
- Assist with event coordination – photo calls, press conferences, media briefings, etc
- Forge and maintain relationships with journalists and keep our strategic contacts list up to date
- Supervise invoices and contracts for freelance writers and other contributors
- Distribute press releases and follow up
- Oversee the development of visual and multimedia aids for presentations
- Help develop risk assessments and crisis management plans, and implement them
- Provide innovative and creative ideas
- Communicate effectively with a range of stakeholders
- Keep abreast of current PR trends and tools
- Liaise with marketing and creative team
- Demonstrable experience within PR or journalism, either in-house or agency
- Quick thinker, proactive problem solver and ability to take initiative
- Not afraid to ask questions and contribute ideas
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Genuine interest in the technology / banking and business sectors and the FinTech scene
- Strong writing skills
- Good understanding of and interest in mainstream and social media
- An ability to work reactively and proactively and as a team
- Confidence in juggling multiple demands
- A passion for media, including social media
- Flair for creativity, strategic thinking and innovation
- Strong copywriting and marketing skills
- Commercially aware and business savvy
- Experience in building influential networks
- Solid project management skills
- 33 days holiday (including public hols). You’ll also get your birthday on us.
- 16 hours paid volunteering time a year.
- Private Medical Insurance with VitalityHealth.
- Contributory pension scheme.
- Friday breakfast - bacon and egg rolls to vegan sausage butties.
- Our kitchens are stocked with fresh fruit and a range of hot and soft drinks.
- We have many varied social groups set up and run by our employees - ForTheWin (a gaming group), Starling FC, book club and many more!
- Discounts on cinema tickets, restaurants, shopping and train tickets via a Perkbox membership.
- Access to ‘salary sacrifice’ benefits such as Cycle to Work scheme.
- Gym membership options.
Full details are available on our careers site.