Financial Analyst - SME Banking (London)
Starling is on a mission to build the best business bank in the world serving the needs of the small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) who are the lifeblood of the economy.
From small entrepreneurs with big ambitions to fanatical freelancers going it alone, SMEs just want one thing: to get on with the business of running their business. That’s why Starling built its SME bank accounts to be free, uncomplicated and quick to set up. We really understand the needs of SMEs - after all, it’s not that long since we started out to build our state-of-the art digital banking platform from scratch. Now, we’re an established player, supporting more than 675,000 customers, including more than 54,000 SME accounts.
We’ve recently been awarded £100m from a fund created to boost competition and innovation in SME banking. We’d like to invite you to join our fast-growing, highly-skilled, caring and passionate team as we embark on the next stage of our incredible journey to drive even more long-term and meaningful change in banking
We have the culture and spirit of a fast-moving, disruptive technology company and are focused on providing our customers with the best banking app and money management experience around. Everyone at Starling gets the chance to own interesting things from day one, and we’re told one of the best things about working here is the ability to achieve a lot in a short space of time.
To support our ongoing growth we’re looking to recruit a Financial Analyst - SME Banking, based in either our London or Southampton office. We are looking for a commercially minded individual to partner with the business and facilitate strategic decision making.
The role represents a fantastic opportunity to join a new and vibrant institution and to shape the bank’s infrastructure for delivering SME Business Banking.
Your main responsibilities:
- Act as a business partner to the SME bank
- Production of Management Information (MI) to support business decision making
- Support, advise and provide expertise to CFO
- Understanding cost drivers, revenue streams and analysing variances to identify growth opportunities
- Develop SME reporting and provide key input into the Group budgeting and forecasting process
- Monthly management accounts
- Compliance with legislation and regulation
- Documentation and advice on accounting policies and procedures
You will have a strong background in the UK banking market, including setting up processes and procedures. Familiarity with IFRS reporting and the UK regulatory reporting requirements including Statistical, Supervisory, COREP and FINREP is also key.
Criteria for individuals:
- Chartered Accountant, with post qualified experience within the Financial Services sector
- An ability to create, improve and challenge existing processes and procedures
- Exposure to multi jurisdictional regulated businesses is a benefit.
- Lead and develop less experienced members of staff
- 33 days holiday (including public hols). You’ll also get your birthday on us.
- 16 hours paid volunteering time a year
- Private Medical Insurance with VitalityHealth
- Contributory pension scheme
- Friday breakfast - bacon and egg rolls to vegan sausage butties.
- Our kitchens are stocked with fresh fruit and a range of hot and soft drinks.
- We host a company social once a month and have many varied social groups set up and run by our employees - ForTheWin (a gaming group), Starling FC, book club and many more!
- Discounts on cinema tickets, restaurants, shopping and train tickets via a Perkbox membership
- Access to ‘salary sacrifice’ benefits such as Cycle to Work scheme
- Gym membership options
Full details are available on our careers site