Business Development Manager - SME (Edinburgh / Glasgow)
Locations: London, Manchester/Leeds, Cardiff, Edinburgh/Glasgow, Southampton, or Belfast
Starling is on a mission to build the best business bank in the world serving the needs of the small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) who are the lifeblood of the economy.
From small entrepreneurs with big ambitions to fanatical freelancers going it alone, SMEs just want one thing: to get on with the business of running their business. That’s why Starling built its SME bank accounts to be free, uncomplicated and quick to set up. We really understand the needs of SMEs - after all, it’s not that long since we started out to build our state-of-the art digital banking platform from scratch. Now, we are an established player, supporting more than 600,000 customers, including more than 45,000 SME accounts.
We’ve recently been awarded £100m from a fund created to boost competition and innovation in SME banking. We’d like to invite you to join our fast-growing, highly-skilled, caring and passionate team as we embark on the next stage of our incredible journey to drive even more long-term and meaningful change in banking
We have the culture and spirit of a fast-moving, disruptive technology company and are focused on providing our customers with the best banking app and money management experience around. Everyone at Starling gets the chance to own interesting things from day one, and we’re told one of the best things about working here is the ability to achieve a lot in a short space of time.
As a Business Development Manager you will play a pivotal role in our growth, champion Starling and find ways to increase the awareness of our business bank account. Your passion and enthusiasm for helping businesses combined with the great Starling proposition will help make banking better for our SME customers.
- Build and maintain an in-depth understanding of our platform, products and services for Businesses, how they work and the benefits they offer.
- Help Businesses to focus on the business, making Banking easier for them. You’ll be able to share the benefits of our fast and reliable Mobile App with real time insights; links to marketplace partners that helps with accountancy integrations, and eventually we’ll be able to offer lending capability to help businesses grow.
- Be a brand ambassador for Starling, building partnerships in the area in which you are working, to help drive awareness and interest in Starling Bank.
- Being a member of local Business Community forums, acting as a role model and informed influencer for Businesses
- Promote Starling Bank to potential Business Customers.
- Identify opportunities to drive the growth of Starling Business Accounts. Don’t worry - you won’t be doing the banking sign up process for customers (this is all done through an easy self-serve experience), but you’ll help them see the benefits and just how easy doing it themselves can be.
- Work with our Marketing Team to identify key target markets and campaigns to help drive business customer growth.
- Understand and proactively learn about trends in the UK Business Banking market, and Business Lending market.
- 5 years + experience within similar roles
- SME Banking and Lending market knowledge and experience
- Proven track record of meeting new business development targets individually and as a team
- Proven ability to identify and develop new business
- Strong, reliable methodology to plan and develop commercial performance
- Outstanding relationship building skills, internally and with clients
- Ongoing relationship management with existing clients
- Excellent negotiation skills to secure profitable contracts
- Excellent communication skills
- This role is based remotely (with the option to work in a Starling office if there is one nearby), but you will be expected to travel to fulfil the requirements of your role, with minimum requirement to travel to London for a team meeting 1 day per month.
- 33 days holiday (including public hols). You’ll also get your birthday on us.
- 16 hours paid volunteering time a year
- Private Medical Insurance with VitalityHealth
- Contributory pension scheme
- Friday breakfast - bacon and egg rolls to vegan sausage butties.
- Our kitchens are stocked with fresh fruit and a range of hot and soft drinks.
- We host a company social once a month and have many varied social groups set up and run by our employees - ForTheWin (a gaming group), Starling FC, book club and many more!
- Discounts on cinema tickets, restaurants, shopping and train tickets via a Perkbox membership
- Access to ‘salary sacrifice’ benefits such as Cycle to Work scheme
- Gym membership options
Full details are available on our careers site